Friday, May 1, 2015

Field Blog 3

GESU

On Tuesday April 28, I went on a visit to GESU, to make up for one of the observation. Since I was sick on the day ED100 went to the middle school, I chose GESU to be my makeup visit! 

During my visit, I observed Mrs. Clemmons 5th grade English class. The first observation was noticing how pristine the school environment was. All the students were respectful of not only myself but their teacher as well and that shows a lot about the environment of the school community. The first thing Mrs. Clemmon's students did was say a prayer before the beginning of class. She then introduced me to the class and they were all excited to see a "student teacher"...even though I was just watching for the period lol.

In Mrs. Clemmon's classroom the first thing I noticed was that each desk was set up so that a boy sat next to a girl. I noticed that the students tended more to not talk to the person next to them. I also admired all of the christian quotes that were decorated throughout the room for inspiration. 

After the prayer, class began. Mrs. Clemmons began to discuss what negatives and double negatives were. Every student was attentive and well behaved throughout the entire period. She drew a diagram on the board and began giving examples of what each were. Students were raising their hands and answering throughout the period. She made her class fun and periodically threw in jokes and acted silly with the students. None of the students talked during the lesson and listened when Mrs.  Clemmons gave instruction on an assignment.

When the teacher instructed to work on a worksheet, she told the students it was a group activity and she was picking partners. The students were complaining at first but when she warned them to cut it out, they didn't make another sound. Each student was acceptable of the partner they got, and worked well with one another. Every student finished this worksheet before the end of class and none had to take it home to finish for homework.

Throughout the class, I realized that the teacher had an amazing class because she made the class fun to be in. She was passionate about what she was teaching and expelling to students in a calm and patient manner. Resulting from this, an entire class of students were eager to learn and answered her questions throughout the entire class. When a student got an answer wrong, she smiled and told them that it wasn't wrong and that the answer would lead to a better answer. This encouraged the students to ask and answer more questions!

My trip to GESU was another example of a behaved and amazing class, that is centered around a teacher who loves her job. I realized throughout every visit that a good class comes from a teacher who is helpful and eager to be at work. The entire school was centered around morals and faith and apply both in every classroom. This class was similar to others that I have attended throughout the semester. It was another example of a successful classroom because of a successful teacher. The more passion and love a teacher is able to put into the class, the better the class will be. Mrs. Clemmon's class was by far the best class I attended on any field trip this semester. The way she runs her classroom is the way I plan on running mine. She lets the students know what is going on and the rules but applies passion and fun into her work! That is my ideal type of teaching because when you apply energy and creativity to learning more students will want to learn and be in the class. The students also came from good families and were all respectful and I believe it is because GESU is a private institution that demands discipline and respect for authority and the overall community. Everyone was very accommodating and respectful of my visitation and welcomed me back anytime. I couldn't have imagined a better visit to a school because there was no disrespect or misbehaved students and the class ran very smoothly. I am overall very glad that I attended GESU for my middle school visit because it gave me ideas of how I want to run my class one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment