Monday, February 16, 2015

Blog Post 5

Homophobia is a term that describes an unsettled/uncomfortable feeling, that a heterosexual has against a homosexual or the presence of a homosexual. All throughout my years of grade school, I never came across an individual who was homosexual. However in high school I became close friends with two gay gentleman who were afraid to come out about the true identity of their sexuality was gay and Alex had done a very good job hiding it. Jake was more open and acted more feminine which led to him being bullied a lot in high school. And at a private school, it was sad to see people bully this kid. Jake always had high expectations for himself and for a kid as young as he was, he knew what his future had in store for him and it was enough to have him get through high school with all of the jerks surrounding him. I always stuck up for him and even to this day continue too. Alex however is one of my best friends from home to this day. Alex always hid his sexuality but he unlike Jake was popular and had a lot of friends. I always stayed away from people in high school and only hung out with Alex and a few other of our best friends. Alex eventually came out on twitter that he was gay and no one made fun of him. Alex is the least flamboyant person and homosexual guy I have ever met and I respect him for it. Alex never showed any public display of affection in society unless it was to our friends in our friend group giving one of us a hug. He always kept it private which is why no one knew he was gay for a while. 

In my honest opinion, I feel as if everyone needs to accept everyone that is gay. There will always be gay people in this world, or people who live their lives differently than the typical civilian. I always was a bystander in bullying situations, and tried to stick up as much as I can. Teachers don't realize the psychological damage the cruel words of kids can do to someone. Gay people have feelings too, and kids in high school and grade school treat them like dogs from my own experience. I feel that it is a serious lack of maturity. The words queer, fag, flamer are all negative discriminations against homosexual people even if it is said in a joking manner. Teachers need to find disciplinary standards to hold upon, in situations where kids bully homosexual students. 

Children who are girls, are raised to play with baby dolls and children who are boys are raised to play and watch sports. Well what if a girl wants to play and watch football and a boy wants to watch a Disney princess movie? Families all over America raise their children in their own eye and don't always realize the importance of children expressing their own self. If a parent let their son go to school in a dress or allow their daughter to wear guy clothes to school, the parent would go against the sociological norms of society. In the eyes of some and most individuals it is considered unethical to do so. The end result is when the child gets teased and made fun of for going outside the box. I believe that Rofes article is written for the acceptance of all individuals. The more bullying and gay harassment ends, the more patience it brings amongst the acceptance of homosexuality.

Within the years to come, I plan on attending a school to teach that ensures discipline to all students. Regardless of age, if a student in my classroom makes fun of a gay student or makes a joke, they will be punished. Bullying is not only morally wrong, but psychologically damaging and I refuse to tolerate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment